I’m not hoping that the fourth season fails.  I probably should – I feel like I should stick up for the original creative vision, but it’s still a show employing writers and performers that I’ve come to love.  I don’t want to see Troy and Abed turn into hollow shells of their former selves.  I want Community to remain awesome, but I also want the studios to start recognizing how important creative vision is to an ongoing series.  Those two things are definitely at odds, which will be an ongoing struggle for me.

But what I really want to do is just thank Dan Harmon for three seasons of excellent television.  He sweated the details and fought the network and the studio, and he was instrumental in making something awesome.  In the next few years, I think we’re going to see a lot more creativity on network TV – how can other writers not be inspired by the fact that Harmon used Claymation and alternate timelines and incredibly intricate jokes?  Harmon (and his staff) did things that didn’t seem possible.  During Thursday’s videogame-inspired episode, I couldn’t stop thinking “This is actually happening on TV!  A network is showing this!”  It’s inspirational.

Share Button

6 Responses to The Community Shake-Up — Thank You, Dan Harmon

1. Myndi says:

Thanks for being so honest and putting all that out there. And you know you’ll never be alone, partner!!!

2. mweinraub says:

Wow, What a great piece. I think your webmaster should make this article a front page piece.

3. Anne Price says:

Like.

4. […] Perform The Bachelorette: Emily – Episode 2 Dancing With The Stars Season 14–The Finals! The Community Shake-Up — Thank You, Dan Harmon TV Shows on TV – Schedule Beach (May 21-27) Robin Gibb, legendary Bee Gees singer, dies at 62 […]

5. Don says:

Somehow I missed this back in May. Wowza. Great article, my man.

6. […] spend a lot of time thinking about Community, and it’s not uncommon for me to overidentify with the characters (well, Abed).  This season has been such a delight for me with the return of Dan Harmon and the […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *