Over the course of my life, I can point to three TV shows that were the most important to me on an emotional level.  The Simpsons gave a high school loser something to care about and brought me a lot of happiness during some years that were incredibly difficult.  LOST changed how I watch and think about television.  If it wasn’t for LOST, there wouldn’t be a spunkybean.  Or there would be, and I wouldn’t be involved in it.  And it would probably be about fantasy football or something.  And then there’s Community.  It’s funny and clever and bighearted, and I love it.  But it feels so important to me because of Abed.  It should not come as a surprise that a guy who’s been writing about TV on a daily basis since 2006 probably feels some connection to the pop-culture obsessed character.  But it’s more than that – Abed’s acknowledged discomfort with showing his feelings and opening up , even to his close friends, that’s something I know.  I know what it’s like when the only way you can really deal with your feelings is to lead with “You know that episode of Gilmore Girls…

Share Button

6 Responses to The Community Shake-Up — Thank You, Dan Harmon

1. Myndi says:

Thanks for being so honest and putting all that out there. And you know you’ll never be alone, partner!!!

2. mweinraub says:

Wow, What a great piece. I think your webmaster should make this article a front page piece.

3. Anne Price says:

Like.

4. […] Perform The Bachelorette: Emily – Episode 2 Dancing With The Stars Season 14–The Finals! The Community Shake-Up — Thank You, Dan Harmon TV Shows on TV – Schedule Beach (May 21-27) Robin Gibb, legendary Bee Gees singer, dies at 62 […]

5. Don says:

Somehow I missed this back in May. Wowza. Great article, my man.

6. […] spend a lot of time thinking about Community, and it’s not uncommon for me to overidentify with the characters (well, Abed).  This season has been such a delight for me with the return of Dan Harmon and the […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *