If you check out this site often, you know we love Happy Endings. For the uninitiated, the sitcom follows the lives of six friends: Penny, Dave, Brad, Jane, Alex and Max, and their sometimes complicated inter-personal relationships. Initially, the show could have suffered in comparison to Friends. There are similarities: a runaway bride in the pilot episode, tight-knit siblings, a spacey blonde, and a guy with commitment issues. However, Happy Endings quickly established itself as a clever quip-filled funfest like no other. One of the best things about Happy Endings is its original and sometimes completely nonsensical dialogue. These besties have created a language all their own (with a little help from the urban dictionary). So, if you want to breathe some new life into your humdrum vocab, below is a guide to just some of the unique slang, abbreviations and puns from the show.
1) Mr. Reich-Alex’s nickname for Douglas Hitler; a man Penny dates.
2) sando-Max’s abbreviation for a sandwich.
3) scooch-Usually, a unit of measurement for space, Penny uses it as an indicator for a brief moment of time.
4) vajanea-Jane’s nickname for her vagina
5) pexted-Penny is penis texted by a tween she meets at a Bar Mitzvah.
6) snooch-A term of endearment Brad uses for his wife, Jane. “A cute thing.”
7) turtleing-When a man in a coffee costume retreats completely inside the cup.
8) slawsome-An adjective that Penny uses to describe her enthusiasm for cole slaw.
9) BBF-black best friend-Used by Max to describe Brad.
10) GFF-gay fat friend-Used by Brad to describe Max.
11) bottom frenching-Ass kissing or any oral to behind contact. Jane uses this at a car dealership to indicate no deal has been made.
12) sex nose-How Brad says he likes to refer to his penis.
13) dangle room-Brad’s dad uses this term to describe the amount of space for allowable genital movement in the crotch of a man’s pair of pants.
14) lay down, move around/downtown parade-Alex’s terms for sexual relations
16) Lance Charmstrong- A nickname Brad has bestows upon himself indicating his abundance of natural charisma and charm.
17) Misery-ing Me-When Max holds his best friend Penny hostage in order to spend time with her physical therapist alone.
18) Shia Labeouf-ey- A noun Alex and Dave use as an adjective to negatively describe an apartment.
19) Nava Ho Hos-A dessert Alex makes that pays homage to Dave’s American Indian roots.
20) zooks-A negative verb similar to sucks or stinks. Penny uses it to describe being stuck in a full upper body cast.
21) Yoko Uno-Max’s “one man experimental band.”
22) Gayfty- A single girl’s gay best friend, who can fill in as a faux boyfriend. Penny uses it to refer to Max
23) ‘Rari- A Ferrari. Penny’s abbreviation of the car a wealthy man drives.
24) Tegan Aerosphere-The heroine of Penny’s imaginary self-published post-apocalyptic tween book series.
25) mos def- Jane’s way of saying most definitely.
26) sabado- Spanish word for Saturday. Brad uses it to refer to his perfect weekend day: shopping, working out, taking a sauna and eating lunch.
27) chooch-Someone unintelligent. In this context, Jane uses it to describe a car salesman.
28) Gay Guevera- Moniker Alex bestowed on Max when he led a boycott against a chain coffee franchise.
29) Keepin’ It Kosh-Alex’s vow to eat only kosher food after enjoying all the delights of a Bar Mitzvah buffet.
30) Erogonomic Work Hammock—The incorrect moniker Alex’s gives a sex swing she got at a flea market and is currently using as a dining room chair.
31) Handrew Jackson—Jane’s nickname for the way a woman handles a certain part of the male anatomy.
32) Sinbrad—Brad’s ventriloquist figure, who is dressed and coiffed a la the 90s comedian
33) Mandonna—Max’s all-male Madonna tribute band